Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Awkward Motherhood: My First Mother's Day

I issued an executive directive this weekend: We are not going to be celebrating Mother's Day in our house.

I mean no disrespect to the rest of you who are into that scene, but as for me and my house, we're going to lay low and hide from the universe. Holidays and I do not get along. There's always too much pressure for the day to be perfect, or if not perfect, at least better than average. It's tempting fate. Holidays are, from my perspective, looking out at a brewing thunder storm and announcing that it looks like a lovely day to fly a kite. You're just begging to be struck down, charred and crispy.

The last thing I need in my year is another holiday and in my opinion Mother's Day is the most manufactured holiday of them all. At least Valentine's day is associated with a saint. Mother's Day is just a day where culture guilts you into proving your appreciation for your mom (and let's face it, if your mom didn't think you loved her the rest of the year, there's no way you're going to turn it around in one day with some grand gesture).

I will spare you the details of my Mother's Day weekend, I don't want to get started complaining, but I will say that it started out with our dryer dying and included losing a paycheck, spilling milkshake in my car, and cutting my finger on a knife. These were no permanent disasters and if this were just any weekend it would have just been stressful, but you add the we're-going-to-have-a-pleasant-relaxing-day-or-die-trying pressure of a holiday and the celebration became a curse.

So while Peter and I lay in bed, absolutely beaten down by the day, I told him, "We will not be celebrating Mother's Day any more. Lydia can make homemade cards until she's too old for it to be cute, but beyond that, just throw me a 'Thanks, hun' throughout the year and we'll call it even."

I was single long enough to realize that simply being a Mom is itself a gift. And by the way, thanks guys, I love it.

3 comments:

  1. I share your disdain for Mother's Day. It's just a sham all around. But others want you to have a Mother's Day, so my advice is to tell them to just let you pick what you want to do. Then tell them exactly what you want, and if that means staying inside under the covers all day, then so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to note that Mother's Day was started by one woman who wanted to honor her deceased mom that had passed away on the second Sunday of May. It was a time for reflection and mourning for her, not balloons and candy and insanity. It was definitely not
    a "Happy" Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's interesting to note that Mother's Day was started by one woman who wanted to honor her deceased mom..."
    Which supports my position that Mother's Day is best enjoyed by people too dead to care about the details.

    ReplyDelete