Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Resolved: To become hip. . . Resolution: FAILED

I only had one resolution this year. It was a fairly small one, but still I've failed so far.

My resolution was to get hip. Specifically regarding popular music. I've never been caught up on the current music scene. (Are these even the right phrases to use? Somehow I sound like I'm 68.) When I was a kid, my parents were very protective of the cultural influences they allowed into our home, so most current secular music was not allowed. Current Christian music was allowed, but growing up in Weimar, there were no radio stations nearby that played this music, and in the days before iTunes recommendations, it was hard to stay current while so isolated.

In my early twenties, I was of course free to listen to whatever I wanted but had no room in my very responsible budget for music, and being a rule follower, I wasn't about to use Napster. By the time I was in a position to indulge in music purchases, I felt so out of the loop that it seemed pointless to start following bands and artists at that point.

I felt too old. If I tried to start following bands and musicians now, I'd just be a poser, right? *shudder*


Sure,I have a few songs I've taken from Peter's library, but I haven't purchased a song or album in several years. My iPhone is mostly full of podcasts where people sit around discussing technology, parenting, or religion. It was actually one of these podcasts that inspired me to this year's resolution. I started listening to the Relevant Magazine podcast. In this particular podcast, people sat around and discussed music. I have to admit, as they discussed new bands I'd never heard of and how they compared to old bands I'd never heard of, I became quite jealous.

Obviously this is their job—to know music inside and out—but they're talking for the benefit of their subscribers, which means that someone else out there understands and, even more importantly, cares about these discussions...I want to be that person! For once in my life, I want to be plugged in. I want to be hip. So this year I had one resolution: to be exposed to, pay attention to, purchase, and ultimately listen to good, modern music. Wanna know how many times I've so much as turned on my radio all year? Zero.

What can I say? I'd much rather listen to people talking about music than actually listen to music. I'm going to continue trying to broaden my horizons, but I'm done trying to deny who I really am. I'm never going to be a hipster, but if I try, maybe I can be a nerd with a little good music on her phone.

3 comments:

  1. I understand and commend the goal, but I'm sure there are other topics other than relevant music that you're much more well-informed about - not to mention that, since you listen to people talking about music, you probably know more than you think, even if it's connected only by song titles, rather than hearing a song. I don't know. If you want to like music, and be "hip" and updated, go for it! I personally hate labels like "hip," because they seem to insult those who aren't within its definition by default. I just don't like that, and I think it's mumbo-jumbo. So, don't feel like a fuddy-duddy (though I absolutely loved that picture of the granny - hilarious!), and just do what you want to do :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're totally hip sans hipster music. I feel the same way, J is always up on the latest indie bands. I do love passion pit though. And I feel cool for knowing who they are. (even though Justin had to introduce me like twelve times five years ago, and I'm not even sure they're popular anymore)I will be non hip with you!

    ReplyDelete